Wednesday 8 June 2011

Friedel: I'm here to be Tottenham No. 1

New Tottenham goalkeeper Brad Friedel insists he has not moved to north London for the money and says he expects to be pushing Heurelho Gomes hard for the club's No. 1 jersey.
Friedel, 40, joined Spurs last week on a free transfer but many questioned his motives for leaving Aston Villa, where he was undisputed first choice between the posts, for White Hart Lane.

The former USA international will have to compete with Gomes and Carlo Cudicini to be Harry Redknapp's No. 1 but the veteran 'keeper says he is ready for the challege and revealed that he rejected the opportunity to play second fiddle to Pepe Reina at Liverpool in order to fight for a starting berth at Spurs.

"I like what I heard coming out of Tottenham, they are a club on the up and it's well documented that had I moved to Liverpool it would have been as a No.2," Friedel said.

"I just felt that if I was to sign anywhere as a No.2 that would effectively be signing my retirement. I didn't sign anywhere for the money, I signed to play and the chance to compete for my place with the exciting players.

"I really feel Tottenham have the chance to get into that top four. I hope to be in the starting 11."

Friedel signed on a two-year deal from Villa, turning down the chance to return to Anfield, where he played between 1997 and 2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment